Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Why I Say “Merry Christmas”

Merry Christmas!

or more specifically …

Merry Christmas to you!

or more completely …

I wish you a Merry Christmas! 


I won’t say Happy Holidays because, in actuality, that would include wishing you a Happy Flag Day. And while I hope your June 14 is pleasant, I prefer to be much more specific about celebrations in December.

And Christmas is set apart from all other holidays. It reaches a much higher, might we say, angelic realm. For we say: Happy Valentine’s Day, Happy St. Patrick Day, Happy Independence Day, Happy Labor Day, Happy Halloween, Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza, and Happy New Year. But we wish people a Merry Christmas. It is not just happy – It is merry. There is merriment – joyfulness, cheerfulness, vivaciousness, jolliness, mirth, hilarity, and laughter. Many things in life make you happy, very few things make you merry.

So, Merry Christmas!

I wish you a Merry Christmas!

When I wish you this, I am not trying to change your beliefs. There is no ulterior motive. I am choosing to share the joy I possess with you – the merriment that I experience at Christmastime. Because it is Christmas, and Christmas means so much to me.

And this expression of joy is so universally inclusive because I will offer this greeting to anyone. It goes out to all races, all nations – to Muslims, to Hindus, to atheists. Everybody gets a dose of my Christmas spirit. Even people I don’t like – obnoxious coworkers in my past, I’m talking to you.

Even if you don’t believe as I do, I hope you will still be able to experience the merriment. If you think it is a myth, I will still wish you a Merry Christmas. For this was either the most incredible event in the history of mankind, or the greatest myth ever created by man’s mind. Either way, it is worthy of a grand celebration.

It is so special, so monumental, so blessed, that when I wish you a Merry Christmas…

I wish you love that your broken relationships are healed or new relationships are kindled. That you have people who care about you and that you care about them. That you love, and receive love back in abundance.

I wish you joy that the people, circumstances, and events in your life make you more than happy – they provide joy – lasting joy beyond the Christmas season.

I wish you peace – yes, that same peace on Earth, goodwill toward all men that you have heard about. World peace, so that the nations will not war and innocent people will not perish. And personal peace, so those worries  and fears within your head will cease.

I wish you kindness – that people will be kind to you when you make mistakes, react poorly, are rude to them, or are vulnerable. And that you extend kindness to others in the same circumstances.

I wish you generosity – in that when you need help, someone will provide that help. And when you see others in need, you will give freely and generously to meet that need.

I wish you a Merry Christmas!

I wish you happiness, and merriment, and all the jolliness of this season. That for at least one day, you can forget about all the disease, political toxicity, pain, arguments, and worries, and experience the wonder of Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

I wish you a Merry Christmas!

And if somehow you choose to reject all of this, if it upsets or offends you – it’s not on me ….. but it just might be worth taking another look at the whole thing ….

No comments:

Post a Comment