Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Giving In Abundance From Abundance - The Giving Chronicles (Part 5)

 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back.”

I got a new job after being unemployed for nearly five months. It was a relief to have health insurance again for my daughter and resume a stable lifestyle. But I never forgot the provisions of three Christmas turkeys or the mysterious ways THE CREATOR met all my financial needs, and more, that February. The amazing thing is I ended up with more money in the bank at the end of being unemployed than at the beginning. A pastor asked me how that was possible; I really had no explanation.

The lessons of this tribulation stayed with me. It was another life-changing event. The Christmas giving continued, and I began donating to a ministry that provided gifts to children of needy families. As my children grew older, I was donating more money to that ministry than I was spending on them.

And that is fitting, because this whole thing started with an image of a child with no presents under the Christmas tree.

At that time, I asked: But what can I do about that?

And my answer now is – I can do this! I CAN DO THIS. I WILL DO THIS. 

The Three Turkey Tradition

Sometime after receiving those three turkeys in 1992, I began giving three turkeys to people in need each December. I didn’t provide the actual birds. I would get $20 grocery gift cards early in the month and figure out who they should go to, sometimes sent anonymously.

But then weird things would happen after I gave away the last card. Within a week or so, I would receive some unexpected money which coincidently would be slightly higher than the $60 I had spent.

One year, I surprisingly received a check from the IRS for an overpayment.  Another year, the college where I was teaching part-time had forgotten to compensate me for training I had received in May. I wish I had written down the other unexpected December payments that came my way, but I never anticipated I would be writing about them 20 years later.

And then there was the bizarre poker game in December 2008 that I wrote about last year. I had only given away two gift certificates that year and carried around a $20 bill to give to the next needy person who crossed my path. I donated that $20 to a family whose house had just burned down.

Less than four hours later, the poker game began. My luck was atrocious at the start, and I was soon down to only a couple of chips. I then got tremendously lucky on some desperation hands and had enough chips to continue for another hour. But then, my luck ran out again, and I was back down to almost nothing. I somehow survived sure elimination a second time. I then fought my way back and ended up in heads up (just two players remaining), extremely short-stacked (my opponent has many more chips than I do and has a huge advantage). But my opponent is inexperienced and plays so poorly that I win the $180 first-place prize. I didn’t comprehend what happened until the next morning when I realized there was less than a 1% chance of me winning the game before going on the incredible streak of “luck”..

There were no turkeys given away in 2009. The Great Recession cost me my job. My circumstances were much less dire since my wife was working now. Although, as I have chronicled, I did not respond to the situation well. And for the second time, I came out of the calamity with more money than I started with. Still can’t explain it. 

Time To Raise The Bar

And that experience changed my perspective as well. Why limit it to just three turkeys? So, at Christmastime, I started giving ten turkeys away. Then 20, then 30, and last holiday season, with the help of my friend Reverend John, over 70 turkeys. I don’t say this to brag – it’s just a fact for reference and confirmation of my commitment. 

Part of Rev. John's turkey haul in 2018

But Don, where did the money come from to donate all those turkeys?

Well, if you asked that question – or don’t know the answer, you need to go back to Part 1 and reread the Giving Chronicles.

Because it started with a fundamental truth which is …. One more time …. taken slowly:  

Give, - freely, generously with a pure heart when you see people in need of help.

and it will be given to you – you will receive back what you have freely given in some form of blessing or benefit.

 A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap if your heart and motives have been pure, you will receive back the value of your gift, and more. So much more, that it overflows.

for the measure you give will be the measure you get back – the intent, the compassion, the generosity, the sacrifice of your giving, will determine the quantity of blessings you receive back.

This concludes the Giving Chronicles

 

No comments:

Post a Comment